Sunday 3 April 2011

Evaluation

The sequence of stills I created for my storyboard was used in the thriller genre. Because of this, I had to keep with codes and conventions of a real thriller film. I used a hitman, a usual character in this genre and I dressed him up in all black to denote evil. I used a girl who lived in a white house and wore a flower in her hair to denote she is good and innocent. The film I have created would be mainstream, if of course budget would not have been an issue. I imagined it as a large budget film with well known actors. My target audience would have been 15-25 year olds as it would be fast paced, quick action and lots of explosions.
My source of inspiration in my film was from well known actor Matt Damon in the Bourne film trilogy. He plays a spy figure which is something I enjoy in films and i tried to incorporate that into my sequence. Another huge piece of inspiration I took was from the bathroom scene in Alfred Hitchcock's Phsyco. The scene takes place with an innocent woman being stabbed repeatedly in a bathroom which is something i tried to mimic in my own work whilst not copying it and stealing the idea.
Another thing I tried to do in my film was use symbolism. The way I did this was to use props and identify good clothing choices for the two characters we see. In reference to clothes, I dressed the hitman in an entirely black outfit because, as i mentioned earlier, this signals evil whilst the young girl had a flower in her hair to denote her innocence and purity. The house she lived in was white on the inside, including the bathroom and a lot of light was shining in through the windows so this would signify the angelic and golden side to her.
I had an idea for my film if it was to hypothetically be developed into a major film. Due to the audience not really knowing why the hitman has gone into the girls house to get information, I was going to play along with that idea. I would show the hitman chasing his target throughout the film and encountering him a number of times but never being able to kill him do to one thing or another. Finally, they would have a big showdown and the hitman would get his man, then going on to reveal in a way, he was only after the man because he killed the hitmans family and he was out for revenge. He would then feel satisfied and could die a happy man, or be jailed and he would accept with no arguments. This would show that the death of his family had an odd effect on him and he had mental instabilities.
Throughout this coursework I have learnt a lot, including how to frame shots at an advanced level. In previous projects I have used a film camera instead of a stills camera so I have always tried to frame shots in a manner that would make the project look good. This project as showed me that by taking the same still 3 or 4 times, even though it is the same thing in the shot, if one is framed better than another, it instantly looks better. I enjoyed creating this project as it has taught me a lot more about how a director would go about the pre production of a film. He would not just grab a camera and start filming, he would take stills of his props, and settings and scenery to give the crew and himself, a good idea of what he wants to do in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment